Loma Linda University Behavioral Medicine Center offers the specialty services of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) on an inpatient and outpatient level of care. ECT is an extremely safe and effective medical treatment for certain psychiatric disorders including refractory depression, bipolar, mania, forms of schizophrenia, and other mental, medical, and neurological disorders. In general, ECT is administered to patients when:
- there is an urgent psychiatric or medical need for a rapid response;
- patients have not responded to other treatments;
- other treatments appear to be less safe or difficult to tolerate;
- patients have responded well to ECT in the past.
Level of Care
Generally, a course of ECT consists of six to twelve treatments administered three times weekly. Continuation / maintenance ECT is available depending on the need of the patient as determined by our treatment team along with the attending physician.
To ensure a seamless referral process for your patient, a variety of procedures have been established including:
- Initial telephone assessment
- Managed care authorization
- Consultation with psychiatrist and anesthesiologist
- A thorough review of the patient's medical history
- Laboratory screening
- An electrocardiogram
- Any necessary communication with the referring professional for optimal continuum of care
Referrals can be made Monday through Friday from 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Treatment is administered in a dedicated suite at the Loma Linda University Outpatient Surgery Center by a team of professionals highly trained in the field of psychiatry and ECT. Other team members include an anesthesiologist, program manager, and recovery room or outpatient nurses.
Treatments are administered on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Most major plans are accepted.
Our ECT support groups are open to potential patients and family members on the first and third Thursdays of each month from 9:00 - 11:00am at the Outpatient Surgery Center.
Loma Linda University Behavioral Medicine Center11370 Anderson Street, Suite 1900
Loma Linda, CA 92354