Safe Kids Helmet Grant Application
Safe Kids Inland Empire is committed to preventing head injuries and death among children in the Inland Empire. Research shows that 75% of fatal head injuries can be reduced with a helmet. Safe Kids Inland Empire working together with local agencies has the opportunity to reduce wheeled sports injuries and death to the children in our community.
Agencies can request helmets for their communities by filling out the request form online. The agency must distribute at no cost to low-income children under 18 years of age living in either Riverside or San Bernardino Counties.
Safe Kids has a limited number of helmets to distribute each year. Each award will be determined based on the type of event and the population served.
Responsibilities of Organizations
- Distribute helmets at no cost to low-income families living in the Inland Empire
- Provide education and proper fittings to the children that are given helmets
- Have trained staff or volunteers on how to fit a helmet properly
- Provide feedback to Safe Kids Inland Empire of the number of children served and the success of the event or program
- The organization shall market Safe Kids Inland Empire during the event or program
- If awarded, helmets are to be picked up by agency at Loma Linda Mercantile
Organizations Will Recieve
- Helmets to distribute at no cost
- Helmet safety materials
- Training, if necessary, to staff and volunteers on helmet fitting techniques
Who May Apply
Schools, law enforcement agencies, PTA's/PTO's, community-based organizations, health care organizations, community clinics, and other organizations interested in helmet safety may apply for the helmet grant.
Click here to complete the application for bicycle helmets.