Loma Linda University Orthopaedic Physical Therapy Residency Program
About the Program
Loma Linda University is proud to offer a residency program designed to provide physical therapists with advanced knowledge and skills in the area of orthopedics.The curriculum of this residency program is designed to provide physical therapists with advanced training in examination, clinical decision-making and treatment skills.
The small group classroom and lab training sessions and one-on-one clinical supervision allow the clinical faculty to focus their instruction toward the individual needs of each resident.
The program is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residency and Fellowship Education (ABPTRFE).
This residency begins in January of each year and runs for 52 consecutive weeks (Note: the hiring start date is actually December of each year for orientation purposes). The clinical training in this residency program is fulfilled in two ten-hour days per week (Mondays/Wednesdays, Wednesdays/Fridays, or Tuesdays/Thursdays), and the classroom and lab training occurs during 18 Sundays (some Mondays) throughout the residency year. Two to four residents are accepted to participate in the program each year.
The residents are employed and provide patient care at Loma Linda University Medical Center’s Outpatient Rehabilitation Center.
The content of the classroom, lab and clinical training in this residency encompass the following areas:
• Clinical Reasoning
• Lower Quadrant Physical Examination and Manual Treatment Procedures
• Lower Quadrant Biomechanical Examination and Treatment
• Clinical Research
• Interviewing and Communication Skills
• Upper Quadrant Physical Examination and Manual Treatment Procedures
• Upper Quadrant Biomechanical Examination and Treatment
• Scientific Basis of Orthopaedic PT Clinical Practice
Each resident receives:
• 162 hours of classroom/lab instruction
• 150 hours of 1:1 supervision while treating patients
• 850 hours of clinical practice
• 150 hours of resident directed learning activities