Spiritual health is foundational to personal wholeness. In a prayer from the first century, Augustine observed that "our hearts are restless until they find their rest in Thee." There is something at the core of our being that searches for and longs for God. He created us to be in relationship with Him.
Spiritual needs include meaning and purpose, love and belonging, hope and forgiveness. Our spiritual health is affected by the degree to which each of those needs is met. In addition, our beliefs, values, and religious faith influence our spirituality.
There is a vast amount of research being conducted that shows correlations between spirituality and health. In the past 10 years, interest in the topic has soared. Typing "spirituality and health" into the Google search engine draws 54,500,000 links. It is a topic of great interest and there is a reason for it. More and more, the connection between a person's spiritual well being and his or her overall health is acknowledged.
Loma Linda has a rich spiritual heritage, which is celebrated in a variety of ways. There are many resources available, both on campus and in the community.
Check it out!
- Know what you believe and why it's important to you.
- Nurture your relationship with God by spending regular time in prayer, meditation, and study.
- Find a church community.
- Get involved in a mission project.
- Forgive those who have wronged you.
Employee Spiritual Care & Wholeness, extension 87261
Medical Center Chaplains, extension 44367
Dial a Devotional English: extension 82900; Spanish: extension 82909
Center for Spiritual Life and Wholeness, LLUAHSC, extension 87786
"Who are Seventh-day Adventists?" A small informational booklet available from Employee Spiritual Care. Call (909)558-7261.
- Our Daily Bread Daily Devotional
- Crosswalk Daily Devotional
- Caregivers Prayer Video Meditation
- Bible gateway Scripture verse/word search
- Bible Promises
Spiritual Caregiving Resources
- Faith Flags and Faith Stories
- Spiritual Care Assessment Questions
- Praying with Others
- Oncology Nursing Society Spiritual Care Kit
- Prayer Notes Photo Contest Winners
Books on Spiritual Caregiving
- Spirituality, Health and Wholeness, by Siroj Sorajjakool & Henry Lamberton, 2004, Haworth Press
- Called to Care, by Judith Allen Shelly & Arlene B. Miller, 1999, Intervarsity Press
- Spiritual Care, by Judith Allen Shelly, 2000, Intervarsity Press
- Spiritual Care: Nursing Theory, Research and Practice, by Elizabeth Johnston Taylor, 2001 Prentice Hall
- Spiritual Caregiving: Healthcare as a Ministry By Verna Benner Carson & Harold Koenig, 2004, Versa Press
- Health Care and Religious Beliefs
- Make me an Instrument of Your Peace Kent Nerburn
- Whole Prayer Walter Wangerin Jr.
- Meal Stories: The Gospel of our Lives Kathleen Casey
- What's so Amazing about Grace? Philip Yancey
- Finding God in Unexpected Places Philip Yancey
- Kitchen Table Wisdom: Stories that Heal Rachel Naomi Remen