In 2008, more than 745,000 men were diagnosed with some type of cancer. While the type of cancer a person develops will depend on genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors, the most prevalent types of cancer in men are prostate, lung and colorectal cancer.
All-too-common and life threatening, cancer is a severe condition that kills more than 560,000 Americans annually. Given the prevalence and severity of cancer in men, effective and cutting-edge cancer treatment is more crucial and relevant than ever.
About Our Cancer Treatment Services
At Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC), our staff of experienced healthcare professionals and researchers is committed to:
- Administering the best possible patient-centered medical attention to men suffering from cancer
- Treating a variety of cancers that affect men, including but not limited to brain, blood, prostate, bladder, liver, colon, bone, skin and lung cancers
- Finding new cancer treatments for men through ongoing clinical trials and research
Types of Cancer Treatments at LLUMC
A man's precise course of cancer treatment will vary depending on the type and severity of his condition; however, in most cases, cancer treatment regimens at LLUMC involve some combination of:
- Proton radiation treatment – the practice of radiating precise, high-energy protons to a focused area of the body to kill malignant cells while minimizing the potential damage to surrounding healthy tissues. LLUMC is known as the international leader of proton radiation therapy for cancer treatment.
- Photon or x-ray radiation treatment
- Robotic and minimally invasive surgery – the use of robotic instruments to conduct a surgery that requires less incisions, perforations and invasive penetrations to the body than typical open surgery for that same procedure
- Traditional open surgery to remove tumors
Because LLUMC has a holistic approach to healthcare, our cancer treatment methods also focus on helping men and their families cope with the psychiatric and emotional damage resulting from their condition. To this end, LLUMC's cancer treatment may also include:
- Family therapy
- Private therapy
- Support groups
- Medication for depression or other mental/emotional afflictions
To Learn More about Our Cancer Treatment Services
Call (800) 78-CANCER or email email@example.com, or visit these pages to learn more about our cancer treatment services for men: