The HOPES program is designed to provide support to families who are grieving the loss of their child. We are aware that this is a difficult and emotional time for you. Your needs are very special during this time. We offer these pages as a resource to you
in hopes that we can be helpful as you walk this difficult journey. If you have questions, please call the HOPES office, or call the Medical Center and ask to speak to a Social Worker or Chaplain.
- HOPES Office
- Loma Linda University Medical Center (ask to speak to a Social Worker or Chaplain)
Arrangements Following Pediatric Death
We at Loma Linda University Medical Center want to help as much as possible to ease the grief you are feeling after the death
of your child. There are some legal issues that must be dealt with fairly soon after the death. This is a list for you to follow:
- The hospital requests that mortuary arrangements be made within three working days of the death of your child.
- The hospital decedent affairs department needs to be notified of the name of the mortuary that you have chosen. The
phone number to call is 909-771-2447. If no one answers when you call, please leave your phone number, your child’s full
name, and the mortuary name on voice mail.
- The hospital will not release your child’s body to a mortuary if the name of the mortuary has not been phoned to decedent
affairs. Failure to notify them may result in extra expense to you if the mortuary has to come more than once to pick up
If you have further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact any of the phone numbers listed below:
- Social Work Department 909-558-4315
- Chaplain Services 909-558-4367
- HOPES Office 909-558-7261
A Prayer in Time of Pain
Author UnknownLord, out of your understanding and mercy reach out to me. Hold me, comfort me, let me know that I will laugh again from a happiness that is as profound as my grief at this moment. It feels as though my heart has been torn from deep inside me. The ache is more than I can bear and I am not certain I can live with such pain. Touch me with your tender caress and give me comfort. I need to feel some relief, just a few moments when my mind
will be still, and quiet peace will settle upon my soul. You can do that, Lord. Give me peace and calm quietness."