Faculty - Robert Avina, MD
Dr. Avina serves as medical director of inpatient services for the department of family medicine. He is an incredibly intelligent and humble man, with a calm voice and a dedication for teaching.
Dr. Avina spends a significant amount of time as the attending physician for the LLUMC East Campus (Community) Hospital. He is also frequently the chiefing physician in the residents' continuity clinic.
He has a true passion for golf that is matched by few. In addition, you will never see him without his Palm Pilot!
Here are just a few of the numerous facts about Dr. Avina:
Position / title
- Inpatient services medical director
- Los Angeles, California
- University of California, San Diego
- Physician-physician communications
- Smoking cessation
- Adolescent mood disorders
- Core lecture series
- Inpatient teaching topics, techniques, and evaluation tools
- Community medicine and school health
- Tennis (singles and doubles)
- Local hiking
- Wife (ob/gyn physician)
- Three sons (20, 17, 10)
- Working with other academically oriented physicians
- Pursuing clinical and scholarly interests while balancing family responsibilities
- Ran marathons in the 80s
- Ran 10Ks in the 90s
- Enjoy taking long walks