Physicians at Loma Linda’s Department of Orthopedic Surgery are actively involved in the research of diseases and disorders affecting the musculoskeletal system. Even though our orthopedic surgeons are recognized leaders in the field, their goals aren’t accolades but rather the improvement of patient care. Through research, our physicians aim to discover and develop effective approaches for preventing, diagnosing and treating orthopedic conditions so that patients receive better care and treatment.
Research Publications: Orthopedics
• Dahl KA, Patton DJ, Dai Q, Wongworawat MD. Biomechanical characteristics of nine arthroscopic knots. Arthroscopy. In Press.
• Syed HM, Gillham SB, Jobe CM, Phipatanakul WP, Wongworawat MD. Fenestrated cannulae with outflow reduces fluid gain in shoulder arthroscopy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:158-162.
• Brockardt CJ, Sullivan LG, Watkins BE, Wongworawat MD. Evaluation of simple and looped suture and new material for flexor tendon repair. J Hand Surg, Br. 2009;34:329-332.
• Bady S, Wongworawat MD. Effectiveness of Ioban versus Integuseal barrier preparations for surgical sites. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:1674-1677.
• Chen S, Anderson MV, Cheng WK, Wongworawat MD. Diabetes associated with increased surgical site infections in spinal arthrodesis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2009;467:1670-1673
• Schramm JM, Nguyen M, Wongworawat MD. The safety of percutaneous trigger finger release. Hand. 2008;3:44-46.
• Schramm JM, Nguyen M, Wongworawat MD, Kjellin I. Does thumb immobilization contribute to scaphoid fracture stability? Hand. 2008;3:41-43.
• Keese GR, Boody AR, Wongworawat MD, Jobe CM. The accuracy of the saline load test in the diagnosis of traumatic knee arthrotomies. J Orthop Trauma. 2007;21:442-443.
• Downs DJ, Gregorius SF, Wongworawat MD. Timeliness of appropriate antibiotics in hand infections. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;461:17-19.
• Cullan DB, Wongworawat MD. Sterility of the surgical site marking between the marker and the epidermis. J Am Coll Surg. 2007;205:319-321.
• Wongworawat MD, Jones SG. Influence of rings on the efficacy of hand sanitization and residual bacterial contamination. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007;28:351-353.
• King JS, Pink MM, Jobe CM, Assessment of Reprocessed Arthroscopic Shaver Blades. Arthroscopy. 2006;22:1046-1052.
• Keese GR, Wongworawat MD, Frykman G. Clinical significance of the palmaris longus tendon on the pathophysiology of carpal tunnel syndrome. J Hand Surg, Br. 2006;31:657-660.
• Chen L, Dai Q, Wongworawat MD. A biomechanical comparison between two volar locking plate systems for distal radius fractures. Orthopedics. 2006;29:927-929.
• Hassinger SM, Wongworawat MD, Hechanova JW. Biomechanical Characteristics of Ten Arthroscopic Knots. Arthroscopy. 2006;22:827-832.
• Green LM, King JS, Bianski BM, Pink MM, Jobe CM, In Vitro Effects of 3 Common Arthroscopic Instruments on Articular Cartilage. Arthroscopy. 2006;22:300-307.
• Boody AR, Wongworawat MD. Accuracy in the measurement of compartment pressures: A comparison of three commonly used devices. J Bone Joint Surg, Am. 2005;87:2415-2422.
• King JS, Green LM, Bianski BM, Pink MM, Jobe CM, Shaver, Biopolar Radiofrequency, and Saline Jet Instruments for Cutting Meniscal Tissue: A Comparative Experimental Study on Sheep Menisci, Arthroscopy. 2005; 21:844-850.
• Steinmann J, Tingey CT, Cruz G, Dai Q. Biomechanical comparison of unipedicular versus bipedicular kyphoplasty. Spine. 2005;30:201-205.
• Hassinger SM, Harding G, Wongworawat MD. High pressure pulsatile lavage propagates bacteria into soft tissue. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005;439:27-31.
• Boyd JI, Wongworawat MD. High-pressure pulsatile lavage causes soft tissue damage. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004;427:13-17.
Loma Linda University Medical Center’s orthopedic surgeons specialize in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the musculoskeletal system for patients of all ages. The department treats a wide range of orthopedic conditions including:
- Arthritis and Other Rheumatic Diseases
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Bone Cancer
- Hand (Hand Anatomy)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Hand Surgery
- Joint Replacement
- Hip Replacement Surgery
- Knee, Ligament Injuries
- Knee Ligament Repair
- Knee Problems
- Knee Replacement Surgery
• Gary D. Botimer, MD
• William P. Bunnell, MD
• Thomas R. Burgdorff, MD
• Wayne K Cheng, MD
• Olumide A. Danisa, MD
• Christoper M. Jobe, MD
• Scott C. Nelson, MD
• Wesley P. Phipatanakul, MD
• Barth. B. Riedel, MD
• Lorra M. Sharp, MD
• Hassan M. Syed, MD
• Barry E. Watkins, MD
• Montri D. Wongworawat, MD
• Virchel E. Wood, MD
• Lee Zuckerman, MD
Osteoarthritis, or degenerative joint disease, is the most common joint disorder affecting the knees, hips, spine and other weight-bearing joints in the body. Watch the video to learn more about symptoms, treatment and steps you can take to minimize pain from this "wear and tear" arthritis.