For more than 80 years, Loma Linda University has been providing Urology services, research and instruction in the Southern California area. Today, Loma Linda University Medical Center (LLUMC) is home to the largest Urology Department in the Inland Empire. Approximately 2,350 urologic surgical procedures per year are performed at LLUMC and its affiliated hospitals and the outpatient Urology Department itself has grown from 350 patient visits per month in 1976 to over 1,300 visits per month in 2008.
Approximately half of the last ten chief residents have been accepted into fellowship programs, and former residents are now serving in fifteen different countries. Currently, there are seven full-time faculty members in the section of urology and all of the major urology subspecialties are represented. The division of urology has authored multiple scientific papers and textbook chapters during the past 10 years and currently hosts ongoing research projects on prostate cancer, robotic surgery, renal ischemia, kidney cancer and bioengineering of urology instruments.
Our Tradition of Excellence
- 1922: Loma Linda University and the University of Southern California share supervision of the urological teaching service at Los Angeles County General Hospital
- 1932: School of Medicine section of urology organized under Roger W. Barnes. White Memorial Hospital is the parent institution, with Rancho Los Amigos Hospital and Riverside County Hospital as affiliates.
- 1942: Roger Barnes appointed chief of the section of urology
- 1966: Clinical division of Loma Linda University School of Medicine moved to the Loma Linda campus. Dr. Henry Hadley appointed chief of the division
- 1972: New residency program established by the ACGME and starts with one resident. Riverside Community Hospital remains an affiliated hospital.
- 1978: Construction of a 600-bed Veteran's Administration hospital completed and becomes an affiliate of the residency program
- 1979: San Bernardino County Hospital approved as another affiliate hospital
- 1986: Residency program approved by the ACGME to accept two residents per year
- 1988: Roger Hadley named chief of the section of urology
- 2004: Chief Roger Hadley named Dean of the School of Medicine
- 2004: Herbert Ruckle appointed chief of the section of urology
- 2007: Urology section became an official Department